Friday, July 13, 2012

Single Ladies

Today I cashed in on a free introductory class with M at a new yoga/fitness studio that opened up down the street. The class was called "BUTI", and the title couldn't have been more fitting. I say this because the class was basically a combination of yoga and shake-your-moneymaker club dancing. No, I didn't know such a thing existed either. At first, as I tried to mimic the impossible orbits that the instructor traced with her hips, I felt like a middle-schooler at my first dance. But a few minutes into the class I closed my eyes and let just myself flow. I laughed. I shook it. I sweated until I was slipping in my downward dogs. I felt energized, strong, and most importantly, I felt sexy. And not because some man was gawking at my newfound dancing abilities. No, in this room full of women, it just felt good to move. And so we forgot about one another. We glanced at the instructor, listened to her cues, but we departed. We were lost in the wonderlands of our own bodies, drunk off of our own beauty. Today I got more than just a free class. I enjoyed a full hour and a half of bliss. I loved my body, because every imperfection aside, look at all it allows me to do. Likewise, I loved my mind for taking the backseat for a bit, as I thought with my heartbeats and remembered with my breaths. And I was reminded, at an age where boys take up an appalling amount of my consciousness, that as nice as it is to have a lover, a crush, a fling, there is nothing better than falling back in love with yourself. To steal a song lyric from Third Eye Blind, "I've never been so alone, and I, I've never been so alive."

No comments:

Post a Comment