Sunday, July 15, 2012

Family Dinner

I imagine the scene from outside the window. Six twenty-somethings gathered around the Sunday dinner table laughing and digging into a homemade chicken pot pie. Mason jars serve as glasses, and paper towels are ripped off and passed around. MH, aka "mom" provided the venue and the food. MW claims to have helped. PF brought popsicles and a new friend. Not to mention he brings the only testosterone to the table this evening. KC, fresh from her trip to Berkley, brought me. As for me, well I got one heck of a deal: free food and good company. As I stuff myself past capacity,I glance around the table and feel nothing but fondness for the people occupying the other chairs. Laughing about our weekend escapades, showing our love by poking fun, and sharing a banter peppered with inside jokes, I catch myself wondering: how did this happen? Aside from KC, these people were merely strangers or footnotes in my life story. But now, reasoning aside, we've come together this summer and there is no denying that we have become an impromptu, dysfunctional, but happy family. I wonder what's for dinner next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment